Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ruined!

With each passing year there are more and more things that I  thought I alone loved that get swept up and over-popularized.  Every now and again there is a specific thing that people find funny, and the t-shirt floodgates open.  A while back,  hamsters, penguins, monkeys, and chickens had their 15 minutes of fame, and now when I hear people throw such words in to make something seem more hilarious or novel, I feel a bad fire burn inside me.
For instance, I've heard an awful lot of people get an awful lot of use out of words like "woot," and "epic,"  and I've had enough.
Now the masses have claimed pirates, pandas, zombies and vampires, of course.  It is no longer cool in my head for me to like baby deer, buffalo plaid, or thick glasses because I see them all over hipsters and faceless teens - no offense, faceless teens.
Even my holy ground I thought no one would touch - taxidermy - has been caught up in the nasty popular breeze.  And I'll never recover from the loss of Victorian clip art, thanks a lot marriedtothesea.com for being so accessible and amusing.



Really, if I just take a deep breath and step back from the situation, I might consider the popularization of my favorite things as a sign that things are getting a tiny bit better in the world, that people are becoming more open-minded.  It is inevitable that humans will continue to discover new things, but I feel like I'm not given credit for my taste when something I already liked gets picked up by the hoi polloi.  I'm not sure why it bothers me so much when this happens, it's like losing a team member to a more popular dance-fighting crew.  I should be happy for my loved things that they are getting the praise and attention I myself would like to have for my endeavors. 
I complain a lot about these things, but really I should just take it to mean that I have good taste.  If this is true, then my predictions for what will soon be all the rage should be well-heeded.
So get ready, kids, because my predictions for future fetish objects are as follows, you can just HAVE them:
Epaulettes

She-Ra, He-Man's far superior twin and the Princess of Power

Sexy Belhops

The Impossibles, my favorite 1970s Thai funk band

All things Pangolin

Apple fans


1 comment:

  1. http://www.theawl.com/2010/10/being-a-hipster-is-an-excellent-and-wonderful-thing

    ReplyDelete

Followers