Sunday, April 3, 2011

Hey, that's ME!

a holdfast joint

When I watch tv and movies, I am notorious for calling out which character relates most to someone I know. I do not know why I have the compulsive need to do this, but those who are close to me know that it is inevitable.
"Hey! That's you when you can't find your towel!"
"Hey! look! That's Carissa! Listen to her laugh!"
"Hey! That's totally Ben at the grocery store!"
or the simple, but popular "IGBY!" referring to a beloved cat. Sometimes he is a stuff animal. Sometimes he is a puma. Sometimes, Igby is a bunny rabbit. Tiny things remind me of his demeanor.

Sometimes these characters look like my friends. Sometimes, it is their manner or reaction to a situation that leads me to draw parallels.
Then, I see myself. I see myself all the time.I've been told that artists always paint self-portraits, even if it is not literal. I know that when I painted avidly, I always painted myself. Sometimes, I painted myself as I wish I was; green-eyed, strong, beautiful. People might not have recognized it as me, but when it boiled down to it, it was always me. So, naturally, I have been seeing myself as characters for as long as I can recall.

Eddy and Columbia, Rocky Horror Picture Show

The first me: Columbia
She danced. She sang. She sparkled. She was also in love with Meatloaf.

                            Ariel, with Flounder and Sebastian from Disney's
The Little Mermaid


Look! That's me! Ariel is dreaming of bigger and better things. She is curious. She wants to explore.


Belle, Disney's Beauty and the Beast

Here's another early one. She clearly loves reading. She can see past the Beast's hirsuites. She is a natural brunette!

Hermione Granger, the Harry Potter Series

Shared characteristics: anxiety, eagerness to study, crush on Ron Weasley.

Rest at Harvest, Adolph William Bouguereau

As a young girl, I spent a lot of time at Tulsa's Philbrook Museum. This is my favorite painting there. She's young, but sensual. I dreamt of being more like her.


Mia Thermopolis, The Princess Diaries

Although I could elaborate heavily, I think this is self-explanatory.


She was awkward, and according to the theme song song "too cool for seventh grade." Likewise, P.A. Likewise.


Audrey Hepburn

Notice that I am the Gamine Audrey. I am not yet the glamour girl.

Johnny Depp as Edward Scissorhands

More recently, I realized that I am also lonely Edward Scissorhands. I have scars. I struggle to fit in and express myself. Shit, we both cut hair!

Helena Bonham-Carter as Mrs. Lovett

Speaking of Burton characters, I have to mention Mrs. Lovett. I am most certainly NOT referring to my junior high English teacher from Berryhill. I still have stress nightmares about that woman.
Anyway, I have pined for love from those who do not return those feelings. I daydream of a simpler life by the ocean...

Ramona Flowers, The Scott Pilgrim series

Like Scott Pilgrim, my eyes lit up when I saw her. She's mysterious. She's so hot that she melts ice. Ladies and Gentleman, she is Ramona Flowers.
Ramona and I both enjoy: rock music, running from the past, and semi-permanent haircolor.

Roxy Richter, The Scott Pilgrim Series

Ben argues that I cannot be two characters from the same series, but I do what I want! Besides, I'm not Ramona and Roxy on the same day. "Bi-furious." Greatest one-liner of my adult life.


I am also Ann Veal from Arrested Development. Mae Whitman at her most boring. I secretly feel plain.


Mey-Rin, Black Butler

Anime Marlis.


Marie and Marie, Sedimikrasky

Two bad Maries. Which am I? They are one and the same. BellaCozy and holdfast. Irreverent until the very end.

Last, but certainly not least...

Lena Nyman, I am Curious: Yellow

This special woman shall someday receive her very own blog, but I cannot leave her alone.She is at once a child...

and a woman.

She is  my younger self. She wants to be a revolutionary, but she is still so naive.
She trusts no government and no research but her own, but trusts the wrong man. My heart breaks for her.

Horror enthusiasts explain that monster movies are enjoyable because we can identify with the monster's inability to fit in. I'm not just a Frankenstein or Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas. I am 1960s heroines, princesses who read books, and, apparently, lots of nerds who wear glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers