Saturday, January 1, 2011

I must to figure out how to use. . . (1)

 . . . our lathe.

Because then I hypothesize that I could make all sorts of smooth, curvaceous symmetrical objects to craft on all the livelong day.  
There are all sorts of things one can make using a lathe.  Apart from their standard products of posts and stair rails, my choice exploits of the machine would primarily be the beloved Japanese folk toys KOKESHI DOLLS
Here is my father's personal collection of them, the closest ones I have been to, a fine selection...
the juggling pins in the back row could also be made with a lathe



and here are a few beauties courtesy of google image search..

warious kokeshi permutations


.I learned that the more varied form of kokeshi came about after WWII and is called Shingata...




likable kokeshi pattern

these might be my favorite of the modern ones I have seen.  They come from the dollmaker of /dolls-have-feelings-too/





Kokeshi by Phoebe Washer
When browsing the recent pages of the curriosity shoppe online, I am filled with desire for many, many things, not the least of which are the characters of "Happy Town."  Happy indeed, with families and pairs in hand-painted wood by San Fransisco artist Lorena Siminovich...displaying cute renditions of all of my favorite lifestyles...
...wintry....

...erudite...

...gardeners...

..the French...
...winter, spring, summer, and fall...




...and please don't forget nautical.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers