Saturday, January 22, 2011

Forever Taxidermy

Everlasting menagerie

winged sphere

elaborate battle scene


I believe that I am addicted to taxidermy.  I may have always been, but I first noticed the problem when my father and I took a trip to Southern France in 2003, during which we went to what has now become undoubtedly my favorite museum -  La Musee, Chateau D'Oiron.  It is a contemporary art museum - by far the best - located in a 17th Century Chateau.  The existing ornate gilded architecture goes miraculously with the whimsical art pieces on display there, many of which feature taxidermy.

Let it be known also that I adore animals and in no way condone poaching or hunting for sport, all the same, the preservation of beasts for artistic and scientific study is something which I find thoroughly aesthetically pleasing.   It is clear that wonders in this medium can be done.

Pickled two-headed kitten

avian specimen collection




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers