Thursday, November 18, 2010

Selections.1

  Every new job I am assigned in Special Collections is new and completely different from the one before it.  However, I have to say that graphic materials are my favorite things to look at.  They are trickier to light and photograph than three-dimensional objects, but paper ephemera from the past never ceases to interest me.  This entry features the best of the correspondence to Walter Jaeger over the years he spent overseas, mostly in France, during World War I.  It is a small part of a much lager collection of artifacts, including uniform items, a set of bloody longjohns, honor pins and several albums of photographs.





Many of the postcards were in a similar vein to this one: chauvinistic postcards printed with hopeful and patriotic sayings to be sent to the soldier at war.  As it happens, most of the postcards have no more than a quick and to-the-point sentence written on the other side, with generalized best wishes.



This card I like only because of the landscape in the background, but I don't know what about it appeals to me so. It seems very stylized and of-the-era.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers