Saturday, November 6, 2010

Let me be frank - LISA Frank

Among the many artists who captivated my heart in childhood (Elvis Costello, Graham Base, Patsy Cline), one stands out to most people as the pinnacle of syrupy sweet girly girl art, and she is Lisa Frank.  Everyone I knew in elementary school - or anyone the was anyone - had a Lisa Frank binder, folder, pencil box, eraser set, or some other permutation of frothy eyelash-riddled LF school supply.  I remember there being debates as to whose paraphernalia was more cute, more rad, more effective due to added sparkles or artificially colored animals.  Something about the computer-generated flawless eyelashed animals and the psychedelic other worldliness was incredibly powerful to certain people, and I was put under her spell along with an entire generation.  In more recent years Frank's art has shifted from the simple delight of lovable animals playing in a rainbow environment to predictable Bratz(tm)-esque big-eyed girls and breeches on the shore of Christian imagery (see Lisa Frank Best Friends crucifix below).  This comes is an unfortunate evolution, though not entirely unpredicted.  Nevertheless, miss Frank remains an important part of my girlhood whose art (the old stuff at least) I can still appreciate today for it's over-the-top saturation.

http://lisafrank.com/
ultimate Lisa Frank eraser collection

these yo yo hip hop fresh beat dropperz are ready to take you to party town

Trippy landscape accentuated by cosmic fluff and northern lights, and friends too good to be true

Glitter leopard on jungle log


I only want to see iridescent animals, not angels

 Foolish-looking rainbow leopards
Friends of Jesus Forever.  Now that I look at it more closely, I think someone may have made this with stickers, but it informative all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers