Wednesday, December 8, 2010

shelly duvall




When I was thirteen or so I was relatively familiar with Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining, but I had never seen it.  However, I was looking through a magazine and saw the above still, of the terror-stricken Shelly Duvall, and was unable to get to sleep for several nights.  The image was haunting until I finally saw the film itself, and I maintain that she is the scariest part of it.  Kubrick is said to have treated her like shit during production, and as a result she delivered a superb performance and by the climax of the film, is totally wrecked. 
Since then I have garnered an interest in Duvall, and recently, after a bout of chain Netflix streaming and internet surfing, mostly related to the imensely talented and tragic Harry Nilsson, I stumbled upon Robert Altman's live action version of Popeye.  It is a delightful movie which causes me to suspect that Robin Williams and Shelly Duvall may have been born for the specific purpose of playing Popeye the Sailor and Olive Oyle, respectively.
Popeye is currently streaming on Netflix, and it has a lovely bubbly soundtrack by Nilsson, and for being a live-action adaptation of a stylized cartoon, it is surprisingly true to the original.  I really enjoyed it.



Fashion photoshoot with Duvall in 1970s haute coutoure




Wendy Torrance in a state of all too believable mania

Shelly looking less stressed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers